Work In Progress:
Some process for the first official page of my webcomic, HERO.
After creating a digital sheet of “Bristol,” I separated each panel into groups for easy organization. Each group is masked to its panel space, so I can treat each like its own painting.
The panels are each built up with sketchy, loose lines. The third panel is imported from a sketch I did in SAI earlier to compare speed with penciling traditionally (digital won, probably because I could be looser).
The painting process I’m using is much like my old tutorial, where I sort of create linework and paint under it, then over it. The same goes for the first panel, which started with scribbles and a gradient.
For the first panel, I began with basic shapes, trying to find the composition and colors I wanted. I ended up warping the composition in its early stages to get a little bit of a “fisheye” effect. Though I painted directly in color, I used Overlay layers to achieve more subtle color shifts— I’ve found that to be very effective with color pieces, especially when trying to get a character to “fit” into an environment. In between rendering, I used some simple filters to see how it would affect the image, like Brush Strokes > Angled Strokes. And, of course, painting over those filtered layers to make it come together.
Several custom brushes are at work here, mostly splatter brushes and a flattened chalk brush. I never touch my Opacity, only the Flow. I do this for speed and texture— Flow will make your brush more dependent on the pen pressure you use. You can get the same effect of 10% Opacity and 100% Opacity with your brush set to around 20% Flow (that’s my general area of comfort).